Friday, November 9, 2007

Giving thanks

I have been reading Jan Karon's Mitford series of books. One of the books contains this quote, appropriate for the season, from Patrick Henry Reardon:

"Suppose for a moment that God began taking from us the many things for which we have failed to give thanks. Which of our limbs and faculties would be left? Would I still have my hands and my mind? And what about loved ones? If God were to take from me all those persons and things for which I have not given thanks, who or what would be left of me?"

Thank God that He doesn't take away those things for which we have not thanked him, or most of us wouldn't have our big toe for balance, or eyelashes to whisk dust away from our eyes, or even a round muscle around our lips so we can pucker up and kiss. And don't even get me started on the extra chromosome my three girls have; it has added innumerable blessings to my life.

1 comment:

Laura Lu said...

You are a constant blessing to me!!!

What a profound quote...I need to give more thanks!

Love you,
Laura