Friday, December 17, 2010

Memorial Box Monday: Elizabeth C. and George Mueller



SpIGoT--Where Learning Flows, was started with the intention of being a homeschooling blog. I remained focused on that intention for exactly as long as it took me to set up and name the blog. My first posts were blurbs on each of our children. I discovered that they were much more fun to write about than our school work and I never looked back!

All to say that I do still homeschool my children. On Wednesday of this week, I was reading to Alex and Anna about the amazing Mr. George Mueller. If you haven't read of Mr. Mueller yourself, I suggest you stop reading my blog and immediately locate a copy of his autobiography and read it, then come back. To say that reading it has been life-changing for many, many people would be putting it mildly.

George Mueller is most famous for his faith and his praying on behalf of the 10,000+ orphans he housed, fed, clothed and educated over his adulthood. His goal, however, was not only the housing, feeding, clothing and educating of orphans; his goal, his overarching purpose, was to show a watching world that God is real, God is trustworthy, God answers prayer [John Piper, sermons].

Back to Wednesday, we were reading what is arguably Mueller's most famous day at the orphanage. He and the hundreds of orphans had awoken to a new day that contained no food, no milk, and no money to purchase any. One of his friends was visiting with his little daughter, whom George took with him to the cafeteria where the orphans were assembling. George led the group in a prayer of thanks for their daily bread, knowing none was in front of them.

In no time, a baker knocked at the door. He said God had awakened him at 2 a.m. and told him to bake bread for the orphans and he was just delivering it. Moments after that, a milk wagon broke an axle in front of their building. The driver had to unload all the milk to fix the wagon, meaning the milk would go bad before he could sell it. Would the orphans have use of his milk?

So, on Wednesday morning I challenged Alex, Anna and myself to take a minute and pray like George Mueller. We did so, and then we talked about the times we've prayed and seen God work immediately and the times we've prayed and God hasn't answered the way we would like, but we still know we can trust Him for our good.

Thursday morning, I got up and started scrolling through facebook updates on my phone. I didn't get far at all before seeing an update from Andrea Roberts, Reece's Rainbow founder, that said we need to get busy finding homes for all the other older girls with Down syndrome now that Elizabeth C. had her family find her.

I dropped that phone like a hot potato and ran into the kitchen were John and the kids were gathering for our morning family devotional. "Alex and Anna! Guess what I prayed yesterday? I prayed that Elizabeth would find a family and guess what!!! I just found out she did!!!" I think overjoyed would be a good word.



In one day, God had strengthened the faith of my family and found a home for a girl who desperated needed one. He's very efficient that way, our God.

My challenge to my readers and to myself is to continue to pray like George Mueller, trusting that God cares, God loves, God is real, God is trustworthy and God desires to make His Name known in a fallen world by answering our prayers.

I know that this isn't Monday but I don't think it matters. I'll post it on A Place Called Simplicity next Monday. I was gone all day yesterday and couldn't post this wonderful news and I just couldn't wait any longer to share the news.

How great is our God?

Now, where's the family for Elizabeth's best friend, Angelina? I believe it's time to pray.


 Angelina R., July 8, 2004

UPDATE: Here is the link to the family blog of Elizabeth C's family! They just returned from China in September with a new blessing, also found on Reece's Rainbow. What a lovely, God-honoring family He found for our sweet Elizabeth!!

4 comments:

Tara said...

I am amazed and challenged by what God is doing in the hearts of His people. Btw, this is the second reference to George Mueller I've seen in as many days. Time to dust off our copy and start reading it to the kids, again.

Sarah said...

Jill, thank you for sharing this incredible story of God's faithfulness!!! He is so good.

Blessings,
Sarah

Sarah said...

Hi Jill,

Do you, by any chance, have any more information about Kerrie (from Reece's Rainbow)? I have a friend who is really interested in adopting her. We emailed Ky from Adoption Advocates, but, of course, she's eager to get more info. as soon as possible.

Blessings,
Sarah
bandimere_9@msn.com

Mom Of Many said...

Oh my sweet friend,
Your story gave me goose bumps!! We LOVE George Mueller...hence, our youngest is Elijah Mueller...and really, that's about all I call him...seldom to I just say "Elijah"...It was a life-changing book for me when I read it many years ago...we have since read it over and over...

Thank you for sharing about Elizabeth C...how faithful God is when we pray for the orphan!

And lastly, I have had your Memorial Box sitting in my closet for forever...could you email me your street address so I could ship it to you? I hope to get it boxed up and out of here in the next couple of days...

APlaceCalledSimplicity@yahoo.com
Put in the subject "Memorial Box", would you??

Love, Linny xo