Monday, September 7, 2009

Proof positive that I am more selfish than I'm given credit for

An article in the Dallas Morning News yesterday proves my point: I have been living a profoundly selfish life. I always knew it but could never explain it properly. Other adoptive parents know it, too. You can buy happiness, but you have to do it properly:

...a generous philanthropic donation is also an act of hedonism even more gratifying than a new Lexus or a handmade watch. Making money vanish can have a payoff every bit as real as, and possibly more beneficial than, putting it somewhere to make it grow. You just have to do it the right way.


Enjoy the article, and let me know what you think about my selfishly happy life!

[The funny thing, as it pertains to adoption, is that you aren't precisely buying a child. You have to pay all these people and agencies and airlines and hotels, all of which can be a bit irritating and counterproductive to happiness. In the end, though, you have a child whose life has been changed (hopefully for the good) and that knowledge is sublime.]

No comments: