Monday, July 28, 2008

San Francisco--Day 2

Day 2 dawned bright and beautiful with lovely, temperate weather. We walked down a couple of blocks to board the cable car and head down to Fisherman's Wharf. A kind policeman gave John a tip: walk up the cable car route a couple of blocks and board it there. Why? Because at the beginning of the route, where we were, was a huge line. They don't load it full, though, so you can much more easily board at the next stop. Very nice!

We were on the very back of the car with what I assumed was a brakeman. He didn't charge us for the girls, saying that as far as he was concerned they were under 5 and that meant they were free! He was a nice guy, and we really had fun talking with him. We liked the scenery as we traveled, but we'll mostly remember the nice man. Funny how that works.




He even offered to take our picture when we arrived at the wharf.

Here's Song with Alcatraz in the background.
Anna at a pier with lots of historical ships. I would like to say we took the time to find out all about them, but I'm afraid we did not. We did have fun looking them over.
The walk down to the shopping pier was beautiful, as you can see.


I can't believe I talked them into striking a crabby pose...usually I have to talk them out of being crabby.
A delicious lunch of fish and chips down by the bay.
We walked out to try and find the sea lions, but apparently it is mating season and only three were out on the floating docks. About the time we got there I wanted to get something out of the bag John was carrying. We both were horrified to see that he didn't have it anymore and he quickly realized he had left it on the bench when I took the picture of him with the girls in front of the flowers. It contained, among other things, my wallet. We had been shopping for over 30 minutes by that time and John took off running! He was gone for quite a while; all the time I was trying to figure out how I would board an airplane without a picture ID. Praise the Lord, the bag was still there, untouched!
Below, my best effort at taking a picture of myself. Now you know why I don't do that very often. We were about to leave for dinner at an 'upscale Vietnamese restaurant' within walking distance. It was delicious and very different from our fave Vietnamese restaurant in Dallas. I was proud of the girls for trying all the new types of food at the restaurant. They love it all, too!
All in all, a very nice day in SF with some very nice people at my side.


No comments: