Sunday, May 30, 2010

Disaster Preparedness Training, part III--This time, it's personal

That didn't take long. Now you can see why my children have no idea what to do in case of emergency--the complete lack of a good example in their mother!
This morning as I was primping for church, Vera came into my bathroom with a scratch and blood all over her face. She told me the dog had scratched her (the dog that is currently standing on my last nerve!). I had her stand in front of me while I cleaned her up and bandaged it; the scratch wasn't deep and it seemed like typical Dr. Mom stuff. As I prepared a second bandage I turned around to see her fall to her knees, then all fours, then on the floor!
I thought she was just really tired or was being really silly. I sat her on the side of our bathtub and turned back around for the bandage and she pitched over again. I tried to stand her upright. She then completely collapsed and I put her on the floor while I started screaming for John!
Let me be clear. I panicked like a gut shot deer! John tried to walk out with her and she fainted in his arms so he picked her up and took her to her uncle, the doctor, who lives two houses down. I was sure any second I would get a call that said they were getting an ambulance to take her to the hospital because that girl was pale as death. I cried. I prayed. I paced. I sent Alex running down to his uncle's house to take John's cell phone to him because I thought I would need to stay informed.
After an eternity of about 15 minutes our precious brother-in-law called and told me she likely had a vasovagal reaction (syncope--fainting) triggered by the pain of the scratch. I've had a vasovagal reaction several times myself, but never to the point of fainting. Vera had none of the symptoms that normally precede the reaction, such as nausea and profuse sweating.

Uncle Dr. John had her lie down for 15 minutes, took her blood pressure lying and then sitting to make sure it didn't plummet again. It didn't, she came home and we all went to church! Apparently she was still quite tired and even went to sleep for a bit in her Sunday School class, a fact that no one bothered to tell her still freaked-out mom until much later.
We've been home from church for about an hour and Vera is clearly fine and energetic again.
Her mother, however, is still in recovery.

I'm including this overexposed picture of Vera so you can see what I saw this morning. I feel the need to say, however, that she's wearing a tank top under that shirt!


ashleypmo said...

Bless both of y'all's hearts!

I've had an episode of vasovagal fainting-- when the phlebotomist (or so she claimed) said, "let's hope the 6th time's the charm..." The last thing I remember was the blackness closing in on Ethan's chubby toddler cheeks as he called, "Mommy? Mommy?"

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce. My goodness that must have been absolutely frightening. So glad everything turned out ok. I too would still be in recovery.

Lu, Poppies Blooming said...

Goodness! I would have been panicked as well! I am so glad she's ok!!! And how handy! Having a doctor that close!

Rachel said...

Oh my gosh Jill! I would have been freaking out too! SO glad you are all ok!!! ((((hugs)))

And may I say she is looking very grown up recently! :)

Anonymous said...

Awww. Your poor mommy heart. I am glad to hear she was okay. I have done the screaming freaked out mommy thing, so don't worry, you have company.