Friday, January 9, 2009

Ni Hao Y'all!!

We're in Beijing...actually have been for two full days now and we've been sightseeing like crazy.  I'm trying to see if I can email straight to my blog because when I tried to sign in everything was in Chinese!  Lots more blanks than just user name and password, so I decided to try a more direct route.  I have tons of pictures to share, but I'm starting small.
One picture is the roof of the Shanghai Airport--that's for you Song bird!  We arrived there after a fourteen hour flight and had a 2.5 hour layover.  We each claimed a bench and crashed!  It was amazingly nice to be able to stretch out, flat on our backs.  That's when you know you're desperate, when a row of seats in a Chinese airport is bliss.
When we arrived in Beijing around midnight, we were not met by our guide.  EEEEEEEKKK!  God was watching over us, however, and sent two cab drivers who literally would not leave us alone until they were sure she wasn't there, helped us find an outlet to charge our computer to find out which hotel, then called information to make sure we had the right hotel/address.  Of course, one of them took us there and within minutes the hotel had called Angela, our guide, and she came immediately.  Long story as to what happened, but it was just a mistake.  She was there but in the domestic terminal as we came in from Shanghai, but were shuttled to the international terminal to go through customs (just those of us who had flown from LA, not the whole flight). 
Our hotel is lovely and has a wonderful breakfast buffet.  I'd been warned the beds in China were rock hard, but I don't think this one is too bad.  I say I don't think, because I'm taking my 1/4 of a muscle relaxer at bedtime, so it's all good to me! 
Back to the pictures, the other pictures are from Hope Foster Home.  That was our first visit on Thursday morning.  John is next to the Pooh Jail, where naughty children are sent for time out.  Apparently it is quite effective.  I wasn't able to get any pictures of the children as they were all sleeping.  I did get to gaze lovingly at my sponsored child, Knox, but didn't even get to hold him.  Boo hoo! 
After that we drove down the street to meet Dean's foster parents.  I'm afraid that deserves a post all by itself once I make sure that my email goes through.  I guarantee that once I've told the story it will be the ONE THING people remember from our trip to China.  Just wait. 


3 Sons said...

Hooray! Praying for you and can't wait to read the story.

Jennifer said...

Praying for you Jill!!!

Charissa said...

OK so I'm confused. Have you met HIM? You have me on pins and needles! Hurry and post more!! Please, please!

Leslie said...

I'm thrilled for you friend and can't wait to read the rest of the story!

Praying for you.


Alana - The Mommy said...

Oh Jill! The suspense is killing me! So thrilled for you you and John. I can't wait to read the rest. Praying and praying some more.

momof4jones said...

It is so exciting to read about your journey. I would love to hear every detail. Our prayers are with you.